The focus of our group lies at the interface of organic chemistry, catalysis, and polymer science. We are interested in the development of reactions— including novel catalytic processes and polymerizations—allowing the synthesis of complex macro(molecule)s with unprecedented properties for applications ranging from energy production (e.g. solar cells), to sustainable plastics and novel therapeutics. Some key questions at the heart of our projects include: How does stereochemistry influence polymer properties and how can we harness it to design soft materials with tailored properties? Can we invent modular, efficient, and practical click reactions that afford functional and easily modifiable molecules?
Below are a few examples of projects that are actively being explored in the Michaudel Lab:
- The development of stereoselective olefin metathesis polymerizations for the precise synthesis of alkene-containing polymers
- The invention of SuFEx click processes coupled with photochemistry and catalysis to rapidly synthesize and functionalize both small molecules and polymers
- The use of heteroaryne chemistry to access nitrogenated polymers with tunable structures
Through monomer, catalyst, and polymer preparation, researchers will receive extensive training in the fields of synthetic organic chemistry, as well as polymer synthesis and characterization.
B.S., 2008, Ecole Normale Supérieure de Lyon
M.S., 2010, Ecole Normale Supérieure de Lyon
Ph.D., 2015, The Scripps Research Institute
Postdoctoral Fellow, 2015–2018, Cornell University
Awards & Recognition
- College of Arts and Sciences Early Career Teaching Award 2023
- NSF CAREER Award 2022
- ACS PMSE Young Investigator Award 2022
- Academic Young Investigator’s Symposium (ACS, Organic Division) 2022
- Montague-Center for Teaching Excellence Scholars Program 2021
- Thieme Chemistry Journals Award 2021
- NIH MIRA (R35) Award 2020
- Kempel, S. J.; Hsu, T.-W.; Nicholson, J. N.; Michaudel, Q.* cis-Selective Acyclic Diene Metathesis Polymerization of α,ω-Dienes. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2023, 145, 12459–12464.
- Chattapadhyay, D.; Aydogan, A.; Doktor, K.; Maity, A.; Wu, J. W.; Michaudel, Q.* Harnessing Sulfur(VI) Fluoride Exchange Click Chemistry and Photocatalysis for Deaminative Benzylic Arylation. ACS Catal. 2023, 13, 7263–7268.
- Hsu, T.-W.; Kempel, S. J.; Felix Thayne, A. P.; Michaudel, Q.* Stereocontrolled Acyclic Diene Metathesis Polymerization. Nat. Chem. 2023, 15, 14–20.
- Hancock, S.; Yuntawattana, N.; Valdez, S.; Michaudel, Q.* Expedient Synthesis and Ring-Opening Metathesis Polymerization of Pyridinonorbornenes. Polym. Chem. 2022, 13, 5530–5535. Invited contribution to “Polymer Chemistry Emerging Investigators Series”
- Kulow, R. W.; Wu, J. W.; Kim, C.; Michaudel, Q.* Synthesis of Unsymmetrical Sulfamides and Polysulfamides via SuFEx Click Chemistry. Chem. Sci. 2020, 11, 7807–7812.
- Hsu, T.-W.; Kim, C.; Michaudel, Q.* Stereoretentive Ring-Opening Metathesis Polymerization to Access All-cis Poly(p-phenylenevinylene)s with Living Characteristics. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2020, 142, 11983–11987.