Our research is broadly focused on developing new materials to improve the performance of medical devices and regenerative engineering therapies. Several specific research areas include anti-fouling coatings for blood-contacting devices & marine applications, self-cleaning membranes for implanted biosensors, shape memory polymer scaffolds & inorganic-organic hydrogel scaffolds for bone healing, and ultra-strong hydrogels as synthetic cartilage.
B.S., 1995, North Dakota State University
M.S., 1997, North Dakota State University
Ph.D., 2004, University of Southern California
1997-2001, The HB Fuller Company
Awards & Recognition
- Holder of the Charles H. and Bettye Barclay Professorship in Engineering, 2018 - present
- Fellow, American Chemical Society (ACS) (Inducted 2019)
- Fellow, American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering (AIMBE) (Inducted 2018)
- Fellow, ACS Division of Polymeric Materials Science & Engineering (PMSE) (inducted 2022)
- Senior Member, National Academy of Inventors (NAI) (inducted 2022)
- Distinguished Service Award, ACS PMSE Division, 2021
- Chair, ACS Division of PMSE, 2018
- Presidential Impact Fellow (TAMU), 2017
- Dean of Engineering Excellence Award – Assoc. Prof. Level, 2016
- Royal Academy of Engineering Distinguished Visiting Fellowship, 2015
- Short-term Visiting Scientist Fellowship - National Institute for Materials Science (Tsukuba, Japan) 2015
- Association of Former Students Distinguished University Level Award in Teaching, 2015
- Association of Former Students Distinguished College Level Award in Teaching, 2009 and 2016
- Texas A&M Engineering Experiment Station (TEES) Faculty Fellow, 2013
- British Petroleum (BP) Teaching Excellence Award, 2012
- Herbert H. Richardson Faculty Fellow Award, 2010
- Doctoral Research Award, University of Southern California, College of Letters, Arts & Sciences, 2005
- Dong, P.; Ko, B.K.; Lomeli, K.A., Clark, E.C.; McShane, M.J.; Grunlan, M.A. "A glucose biosensor based on phosphorescence lifetime sensing and a thermoresponsive membrane," Macromol. Rapid Comm., 2022, 2100902.
- Pfau, M.A.; McKinzey, K.G.; Roth, A.A.; Graul, L.M.; Maitland, D.J.; Grunlan, M.A. "Shape memory polymer (SMP) bone scaffolds with improved self-fitting properties," J. Mater. Chem. B, 2021, 9, 3286-3837.
- Frassica, M.T.; Jones, S.K.; Suriboot, J.; Arabiyat, A.; Ramirez, E.; Hahn, M.S.; Grunlan, M.A. "Enhanced osteogenic potential of phosphonated-siloxane hydrogel scaffolds," Biomacromolecules, 2020, 21, 5189-5199.
- Ngo, B.K.D.; Lim, K.K.; Johnson, J.C.; Jain, A.; Grunlan, M.A. "Thromboresistance of polyurethanes modified with PEO-silane amphiphiles," Macromol. Biosci. 2020, 2000193.
- Means, A.K.; Shrode, C.A.; Whitney, L.V.; Ehrhardt, D.A.; Grunlan, M.A. "Double network hydrogels that mimic the modulus, strength and lubricity of cartilage," Biomacromolecules, 2019, 20, 2034-2042.