Our research is broadly focused on developing new materials to improve the performance of medical devices and regenerative engineering therapies. Several specific research areas include anti-fouling coatings for blood-contacting devices & marine applications, self-cleaning membranes for implanted biosensors, shape memory polymer scaffolds & inorganic-organic hydrogel scaffolds for bone healing, and ultra-strong hydrogels as synthetic cartilage.
B.S., 1995, North Dakota State University
M.S., 1997, North Dakota State University
Ph.D., 2004, University of Southern California
1997-2001, The HB Fuller Company
Awards & Recognition
- Chair, ACS Division of PMSE, 2018
- Holder, Charles H. and Bettye Barclay Professorship in Engineering, 2018
- Presidential Impact Fellow (TAMU), 2017
- Dean of Engineering Excellence Award – Assoc. Prof. Level, 2016
- Royal Academy of Engineering Distinguished Visiting Fellowship, 2015
- Short-term Visiting Scientist Fellowship - National Institute for Materials Science (Tsukuba, Japan) 2015
- Association of Former Students Distinguished University Level Award in Teaching, 2015
- Association of Former Students Distinguished College Level Award in Teaching, 2009 and 2016
- Texas A&M Engineering Experiment Station (TEES) Faculty Fellow, 2013
- British Petroleum (BP) Teaching Excellence Award, 2012
- Herbert H. Richardson Faculty Fellow Award, 2010
- Doctoral Research Award, University of Southern California, College of Letters, Arts & Sciences, 2005
- Ngo, B.K.D.; Grunlan, M.A. "Protein resistant polymeric biomaterials," ACS Macro Lett., 2017, 6, 992-1000.
- Hawkins, M.L.; Schott, S.S.; Grigoryan, B.; Rufin, M.A.; Ngo, B.K.D.; Vanderwal, L.; Stafslien, S.J.; Grunlan, M.A. "Anti-protein and anti-bacterial behavior of amphiphilic silicones," Polym. Chem., 2017, 8, 5239-5251.
- Gacasan, E.G; Sehnert, R.M.; Ehrhardt, D.A.; Grunlan, M.A.. "Templated, macroporous PEG-DA hydrogels as tissue engineering scaffolds," Macromol. Mater. Eng., 2017, 302, 16000512 – 16000518.
- Woodard, L.N.; Page, V.M.; Kmetz, K.T.; Grunlan, M.A.. "PCL-PLLA semi-IPN shape memory polymers (SMPs): Degradation and mechanical properties," Macromol. Rapid Comm., 2016, 37, 1972-1977.
- Fei, R., Means, A.K., Abraham, A.A.; Locke, A.K.; Coté; G.L.; Grunlan, M.A.. "Self-cleaning, thermoresponsive P(NIPAAm-co-AMPS) double network membranes for implanted glucose biosensors," Macromol. Mater. Eng., 2016, 301, 935-943.