The Pentzer group is interested in using organic synthesis to prepare carbon-based materials with tailored, novel properties for specific applications in the areas of energy harvesting and storage. A bottom-up approach is used to prepare new small molecules and polymers that contain functionality which dictate their intermolecular interactions as well as interactions with other surfaces, nanoparticles, and additives. By harnessing synthetic organic chemistry to tailor molecular design and control self assembly, novel conductive materials with controlled domain sizes and interfaces can be prepared and their structure-property relationships studied. Collaboration with scientists and engineers across various fields present opportunities to augment this work, allowing ideas to be taken from design to implementation to application.
PhD, Northwestern University
BS, Butler University
Awards & Recognition
- CWRU Faculty Diversity Excellence Award (2019)
- CWRU Outstanding Professor Award from Engineering Group (2017)
- PMSE Young Investigator (an award from the American Chemical Society, 2017)
- NSF CAREER Award (2016)
- CWRU Glennan Fellowship (2015)
- CWRU Carl Wittke Award for Undergraduate Teaching (nominee, 2014)
Undergraduate student names are underlined; high school student names are italicized.
- 2D Particles at Fluid-Fluid Interfaces: Assembly and Templating of Hybrid Structure for Advanced Applications. Wei, P.; Luo, Q.; Edgehouse, K.; Hemmingsen, C.; Rodier, B.; Pentzer, E. ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, 2018, 10, 21765-21781. DOI: 10.1021/acsami.8b07178
- A Plastic Metal-Free Electric Motor by 3D Printing of Graphene-Polyamide Powder. De Leon, A.; Rodier, B.; Bajamundi, C.; Espera, A.; Wei, P.; Kwon, J.; Williams, J.; Ilijasic, F.; Advincula, R.; Pentzer, E. ACS Applied Energy Materials, 2018, 1, 1726-1733. DOI: 10.1021/acsaem.8b00240
- Polymerizations in Oil-in-Oil Emulsions using 2D Nanoparticle Surfactants. Rodier, B. J.; de Leon, A.; Hemmingsen, C.; Pentzer, E. Polymer Chemistry, 2018, 9, 1547-1550. DOI: 10.1039/C7PY01819C (Emerging Investigator Issue, inside front cover)
- Polymerization of Silyl Ketenes: A Combined Computational and Experimental Approach. Xiang, Y.; Albrecht, B. J.; Tragesser, L.E.; McCaffrey, J.; Lambrecht, D.; Pentzer, E. Polymer Chemistry, 2017, 8, 5381-5387. DOI: 10.1039/C7PY00858A
- Distinct Chemical and Physical Properties of Janus Graphene Oxide. De Leon, A.; Rodier, B.; Luo, Q.; Wei, P.; Hemmingsen, C.;Abbasi, K.; Advincula, R.; Pentzer, E. ACS Nano, 2017, 11, 7485-7493.DOI:10.1021/acsnano.7b04020