Catalysis lies at the heart of many unmet chemical challenges. Research efforts in our group focus on development of new
catalytic chemistry to impact both chemical synthesis as well as chemical storage of solar energy. Projects span organic,
organometallic, and inorganic chemistries and rely on the tools of modern synthetic chemistry and spectroscopy, as well as
advanced characterization techniques supported at synchrotron X-ray sources. Representative research interests include:
shape-selective catalysis, solar energy storage in organic solar-thermal flow batteries, and aerobic oxidation chemistry for
C–H functionalization reactions. We are seeking students who wish to gain expertise in synthetic chemistry and reaction
B. A., 2006, Franklin and Marshall College
Ph. D., 2011, Harvard University
NIH Postdoctoral Fellow, 2011-2015, Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Harvard University
Awards & Recognition
- NIH NRSA Postdoctoral Fellow
- DOE Early Career Award
- NSF CAREER Award
- Das, A.; Chen, Y.-S.; Reibenspies, J. H.; Powers, D. C.* Characterization of a Reactive Rh2 Nitrenoid by Crystalline Matrix Isolation. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2019, 141, 16232. DOI: 10.1021/jacs.9b09064
- Hyun, S-M.; Yuan, M.; Maity, A.; Gutierrez, O.*; Powers, D. C.* The Role of Iodanyl Radicals as Critical Chain Carriers in Aerobic Hypervalent Iodine Chemistry. Chem 2019, 5, 2388–2404. DOI: 10.1016/j.chempr.2019.06.006.
- Das, A.; Maher, A. G.; Telser, J.; Powers, D. C.* Observation of a Photogenerated Rh2 Nitrenoid Intermediate in C–H Amination. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2018, 140, 10412–10415. DOI: 10.1021/jacs.8b05599.
- Wang, C.-H.; Das, A.; Gao, W.-Y.; Powers, D. C.* Probing Substrate Diffusion in Interstitial MOF Chemistry with Kinetic Isotope Effects. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2018, 57, 3676–3681. DOI: 10.1002/anie.201713244. (Pre-print: ChemRxiv, 2018, DOI: 10.26434/chemrxiv.5883142.v1).
- Maity, A.; Hyun, S.-M.; Powers, D. C.* Oxidase Catalysis via Aerobically Generated Hypervalent Iodine Intermediates. Nat. Chem. 2018, 10, 200–204. DOI: 10.1038/NCHEM.2873. (Pre-print: ChemRxiv, 2017, DOI: 10.26434/chemrxiv.5419270.v1).