Department of Chemistry


The Undergraduate Advising Office strives to help students achieve their full potential for success by providing accurate information about requirements, resources, and opportunities. We aim to provide a supportive environment to help students critically assess their talents and abilities in order to develop realistic academic and career goals. We provide information and guidance, but it is the student’s responsibility to make final decisions about their educational plans within the framework of University rules and College and Departmental standards.

Chemistry pre-registration reminders Summer/Fall 2024

Summer/Fall 2024

1) New Course Numbers for Organic Chemistry: CHEM 257 and CHEM258
Starting this fall, the Department of Chemistry will combine our Organic Chemistry I and II lecture and lab courses into 4-credit courses with new course numbers.
CHEM 227 (Organic Chemistry I, 3 cr.) + CHEM 237 (Organic Chemistry I Lab, 1 cr.) will now be offered as CHEM 257 (Fundamentals of Organic Chemistry I Lecture + Lab, 4 cr.)
CHEM 228 (Organic Chemistry II, 3 cr.) + CHEM 238 (Organic Chemistry II Lab, 1 cr.) will now be offered as CHEM 258 (Fundamentals of Organic Chemistry II Lecture + Lab, 4 cr.)
There will be a limited number of seats available in the separated courses for students who have completed only the lecture or the lab.

2) Chemistry Seat Release
Seats are added throughout preregistration as courses fill across all sections. We cannot promise and will not force any student into a particular section. Do not call or email to request forces. In the Aggie Schedule Builder, the system automatically defaults to “Open Classes Only” for Course Status. If you are planning your courses in advance, we suggest looking to Howdy to see what sections are planned, but double check before you register that these sections are open with seats available during your registration period.

3) Prerequisites
Prerequisites are enforced. The Department of Chemistry does not enter prerequisite overrides for planned or in progress prerequisites from other institutions. Once students have completed the prerequisite course, they may send an unofficial transcript that clearly shows their name, the institution, course, and final grade to from their tamu email accounts. Students should include their UIN and indicating the chemistry course(s) they are seeking a prerequisite for. We will enter the prerequisite override but will not force students into closed classes. Students intending to take a prerequisite for a fall course here over the summer should register for the summer course before attempting to register for the fall course.

4) Restricted Courses
For the fall semester, a few sections of chemistry courses are restricted to honors students or chemistry majors:

Restricted to Honors Students:
  • CHEM119 (Section Numbers 201, 202, and 203)
  • CHEM257 (Section Number 201, 202)
Restricted to Chemistry Majors:
  • CHEM119 (Section Numbers 494, 495, and 496)
  • CHEM 227 (Section Number 501, 201)

Stacked honors section are available for CHEM315, CHEM362, CHEM327, CHEM328, and CHEM415.

5) CHEM107/117
CHEM107 and CHEM117 are two separate courses that are co-requisites. Students must register for the courses in the same registration submission.

6) Summer Courses
The planned courses in chemistry for the summer are listed below. All courses are offered over the 10-week term.

  • CHEM107
  • CHEM117
  • CHEM120
  • CHEM227
  • CHEM237
  • CHEM228
  • CHEM238
  • CHEM242
  • It is understood and expected that you will be working toward a degree in chemistry. CHEM students must take courses listed on their degree plan each semester. All relevant chemistry and math classes must be included in each semester's schedule. Failure to take courses toward your declared degree is a violation of TAMU policy and will result in a registration block until your major is changed.
  • It is your responsibility to understand the degree requirements along with deadlines, policies and procedures of the university, college, and department. You will assume accountability for all emails received from the university, college and departmental advisors and all policies stated in this document.
  • Students are expected to enroll in the majors (or honors, if qualified) section of general and organic chemistry.
  • For incoming first-year chemistry majors to be allowed to continue as chemistry majors, they must complete the first two semesters of chemistry (generally CHEM 119 and CHEM 120) and the first two semesters of calculus (MATH 151 and MATH 152 or MATH 171 and MATH 172) with Cs or better within the first academic year. An exception will be made for students who place into MATH 150 as incoming students, provided they pass MATH 150 with a B or better. Students are expected to enroll in a mathematics course every semester until they have completed the requirements of their degree.
  • Grades of B or better are required for transferred MATH or CHEM courses to apply toward a TAMU degree in chemistry.
  • Be aware of prerequisites. Courses must be taken in proper sequence (see degree plan/catalog). A "C" or better must be earned in all prerequisite courses before proceeding to the next course.
  • A course may not be attempted more than three times. If a required course on the Chemistry Degree Plan is not passed with a "C" or better after the third attempt, the student is no longer eligible to continue as a chemistry major. Q-dropping or withdrawing from a course will count as one attempt. Students attempting a course for a third time will be placed on departmental probation.
  • Students Q-dropping a MATH or a science course are required to meet with an advisor before submitting a Q-drop form for approval.
  • Students with a semester GPA<2.0 or an overall GPA<2.0 are placed on Academic Probation. Students with an overall and/or major GPA grade point deficit of 8 or more points below a 2.00 may be removed from the College of Science and possibly the University.
  • Students with poor midterm grades will be required to meet with an advisor to discuss strategies and resources to improve academic per prior to pre-registration.
  • The Chemistry Department cannot force students into courses outside of the department. The Chemistry Department will not force students into classes for reasons of instructor or time preference.
  • The Chemistry Department expects that all chemistry courses be taken at TAMU. Please consult with an advisor about AP, dual credit, and/or summer courses.
  • Students must submit a research approval form with instructor approval in order to register for CHEM 491. An override will be placed on the student registration account and the student is then responsible for registering for the course with the correct number of credit hours.
  • Please schedule advising appointments through Navigate. The advising office is generally open from 8-12 and 1-5 Monday-Friday, though the advisors may not always be available for appointments during these hours because of teaching and other commitments. Please schedule appointments well in advance during busy times of year (pre-registration advising; Q drop).

To Remain a Chemistry Major

Students must maintain a 2.00 GPR overall and in chemistry courses. First year students must have received credit for either Math 151 (4) or 171(4) and Math 152 (4) or 172(4) with C's or better in both courses by the end of the first calendar year after enrollment at A&M. Students who have completed only Math 151(4) or 171(4) by the end of the first calendar year may remain in the program if they earned a B or better in one Math 151(4) or 171(4) and are enrolled for Math 152(4) or 172(4) in the following semester.

To Change Your Major into Chemistry at Any Time

Students must have fewer than 90 attempted + transfer hours

Students who wish to change into chemistry after beginning A&M in another major must have an overall TAMU GPR of 2.5 or better and a TAMU 2.5 or better in chemistry and a 2.5 or better in math courses and have credit for at least CHEM 119(4) and CHEM 120(4) or equivalent and at least MATH 151(4) or MATH 171(4) with a C or better in all chemistry and math courses. Grades earned in chemistry or math courses transferred from other institutions must be B or better.

To Seek A Double Major or Double Degree in Chemistry

Students must have fewer than 90 attempted + transfer hours

Students must have an overall GPR of 3.0 or better, at least a 3.0 in chemistry and math courses, and have completed CHEM 119(4) and CHEM 120(4) or equivalent and MATH 151(4) or MATH 171(4) before this paperwork may be initiated.

To Transfer into Chemistry from another Institution

Applicants should complete 24 hours, but must have fewer than 90, with a cumulative GPR of at least 3.00. CHEM119 and CHEM120 equivalents must be competed with Bs or better. In addition, 8 hours of science and engineering level Calculus I and II must be completed with Bs or better. More information about transfer application and admission can be found at

Core Curriculum

The Core Curriculum is a common set of requirements that must be satisfied by all Texas A&M graduates. The requirements are outlined in your undergraduate catalog. The core curriculum requirements do not add extra hours to your chemistry degree plan. They just dictate, to some extent, your freedom to choose electives so they are frequently referred to as Directed Electives. Information about what courses can be used to fulfill each Core Curriculum requirement can be found at the Core Curriculum web site.

BA and BS Degrees

The set of prescribed courses is referred to as a degree plan. This is a suggested outline of when you should take courses. You should try to adhere to this schedule as closely as possible although the timing of some courses is more critical than others.

The B.S. and B.A. degree plans both require completion of 120 credit hours of course work under catalog #139 (i.e. the 20016-17 catalog). The major points of difference are compared below:

Hours of chemistry56 credit hours40 credit hours
Hours of mathematics15 credit hours8 credit hours
Hours of Physics8 credit hours8 credit hours
Hours of undirected electives14 credit hours37 credit hours
Hours of remaining core curriculum27 credit hours27 credit hours
Minor or Track (hours will vary)optionalrequired

Course descriptions for all undergraduate chemistry courses are found in the Undergraduate Catalog.

In addition to the traditional B.S. degree, which allows for an optional minor field of study, and the traditional B.A. degree, which requires a minor field of study, the Department of Chemistry offers five tracks to guide students in their selection of electives for particular career paths in biological chemistry, environmental chemistry and chemical education. A traditional minor requires that all minor courses be taken from the same department and approved by the department granting the minor. However, the Tracks provide electives in an area of emphasis, which includes courses from several departments. Students completing all the requirements for a Track would not be required to have a traditional minor. Students should carefully check prerequisites in planning these courses. For more information see Chemistry Tracks.

Students seeking a minor in chemistry must complete the Declaration of Minor in Chemistry form and have it approved by the undergraduate advisor in chemistry (Room 104 Chemistry) and their academic advisor. A minor in Chemistry should represent course work taken in the discipline beyond courses that might be used to satisfy core curriculum science requirements (8 credits). Therefore, though CHEM 101/111 or CHEM 107 and CHEM 102/112 are prerequisites to all of the listed courses, they are not considered part of the minor program. The course work listed (17-20 credits) represents various sub-disciplines within the field of Chemistry and would give the student an overall knowledge base fitting a Minor in Chemistry. This is consistent with the statement on minors published by the American Chemical Society. For more information, see Declaring a Minor.

Chemistry majors seeking the B.S. degree are required to satisfy the undergraduate research requirement listed in their catalog. B.A. chemistry majors frequently find it to their benefit to do some research as well. Although this requirement is listed in the degree plan in the senior year, the typical student normally begins undergraduate research earlier in the curriculum. This starting date allows the student to distribute the required credits over several semesters and usually ensures that the student will have had the minimal laboratory courses (i.e. general chemistry and organic chemistry) indicated by most professors as necessary to begin research in their group. See Undergraduate Research in Chemistry for more information.

Courses taken at Texas community colleges and universities may be used to satisfy some degree requirements. Most community colleges and universities in Texas use the Texas Common Course Numbering System to assign course numbers to their courses. An Appendix in the course catalog and the Texas Common Course Numbering System website list the equivalencies between Texas A&M University courses and Texas Common Course Numbered courses.

The University has established information on Transfer Course Equivalency.

Continuing chemistry majors are encouraged to apply for departmental scholarships using the University Scholarship Application. Incoming Freshmen and Transfer Students are ineligible for continuing student scholarships but are encouraged to apply for scholarships via the ApplyTexas Scholarship Application.

The University application opens October 15 and closes February 1. Almost all departmental scholarships are need based, so we strongly encourage applicants to submit FAFSA forms. More information about departmental scholarships and criteria can be found at the College of Science Scholarship web site. Departmental scholarships recipients are selected by the Undergraduate Awards Committee following the posting of Spring grades each year.

A degree in chemistry affords a student a wide range of career options in chemical industry, education and government. See our Career Choices web site for a listing of former students and their career choices.

The American Chemical Society provides information to help in the College to Career transition.

The employers of chemistry majors range from industrial and government labs to education and professional schools. See our listing of employers of former students.

Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Policy

The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) is a federal anti-discrimination statute that provides comprehensive civil rights protection for persons with disabilities. Among other things, this legislation requires that all students with disabilities be guaranteed a learning environment that provides for reasonable accommodation of their disabilities. If you believe you have a disability requiring an accommodation, please contact Disability Services, currently located in the Disability Services building at the Student Services at White Creek complex on west campus or call 979-845-1637. For additional information, visit