My research career started from studying ozone-depleting molecules at ultra-high vacuum conditions and tried to understand the mechanism in ozone depletion. Furthermore I applied physical chemistry to understand interfacial properties of lipids, proteins and adjacent water molecules using Vibrational Sum Frequency Spectroscopy. Studying cell components (lipids, proteins, and DNA) motivated me to look into medical research, in which I investigated cells from blood vessels and tried to understand cardiovascular diseases. More specifically I investigated redistribution of structural and adhesion proteins in live vascular cells with fluorescence microscopes (TIRF and confocal) and atomic force microscope (AFM), and observed vascular cells change their structure and adhesion properties to adapt to changes in mechanical environment.
I am currently teaching Quantitative Analysis and coordinating lab classes. I enjoy serving community in outreach activities. I have participated in NSF-funded outreach program of "Saturday Morning Biophysics - Image life" with Dr. Andreea Trache at Texas A&M Health Science Center since 2008. I also enjoy helping Chemistry department by serving in the Undergraduate Curriculum Committee and at our well-known Chemistry Open House.
Ph.D., Texas A&M University, 2006
- Christina L. Papke, Jiumei Cao, Callie S. Kwartler, Carlos Villamizar , Katerina L. Byanova, Soon-Mi Lim, Harini Sreenivasappa, Grant Fischer, John Pham, Meredith Rees, Miranda Wang, Christine Chaponnier, Giulio Gabbiani, Aarif Y. Khakoo, Joya Chandra, Andreea Trache, Warren Zimmer, and Dianna M. Milewicz. "Smooth Muscle Hyperplasia Due To Loss of Smooth Muscle α-Actin Is Driven by Activation of Focal Adhesion Kinase, Altered p53 Localization, and Increased Levels of Platelet-Derived Growth Factor Receptor-β", Human Molecular Genetics, 22 (2013) 3123-3137
- Soon-Mi Lim, Jerome P. Trezeciakowski, Harini Sreenivasappa, Lawrence J. Dangott and Andreea Trache, "RhoA-induced cytoskeletal tension controls adaptive cellular remodeling to mechanical signaling", Integrative Biology, 4 (2012) 615-627
- Andreea Trache and Soon-Mi Lim, "Live Cell Response to Mechanical Stimulation Studied by Integrated Optical and Atomic Force Microscopy", J Vis Exp. 44 (2010) DOI: 10.3791/2072
- Soon-Mi Lim, Bryan A. Kreipe, Jerome P Trezeciakowski, Larry Dangott, and Andreea Trache ,"Extracellular Matrix Effect on RhoA Signaling Modulation in Vascular Smooth Muscle Cells", Experimental Cell Research 316 (2010) 2833-2848
- Xin Chen, Sarah C. Flores, Soon-Mi Lim, Yanjie Zhang, Tinglu Yang, Jaibir Kherb and Paul S. Cremer, "Specific Anion Effects on Water Structure Adjacent to Protein Monolayers", Langmuir 26 (2010) 16447-16454