My activities include teaching courses in the first year program of chemistry: CHEM 101, CHEM 102, and CHEM 107. I also coordinate the CHEM 112 laboratory. These courses are the foundation of many majors across the university and allow me to interact with students from a diverse collection of backgrounds.
In addition to my time in the classroom and laboratory, I am working on the development and improvement of the Chemistry Reinforcement Module. This project has been designed to help students in their first semester of university level chemistry by reviewing many of the concepts they learned in high school. This project includes a combination of assessment and adaptive assignments along with a series of mini-lectures that review these topics.
While I know that most of my students are not chemists, it is my goal to teach students to look at everything through the lens of chemistry. I really enjoy spending time helping our Aggies grow both as scientist and as citizens.
- Ph. D., Texas A&M University
- B.S., Truman State University
- "The Bioorganometallic Chemistry of Hydrogenase" Bethel, R. D.; Darensbourg, M. Y.; In Bioorganometallic Chemistry: Applications in Drug Discovery, Biocatalysis, and Imaging, Vol. 2; Jaouen, G., Ed., Wiley, 2015.
- "A Reduced 2Fe2S Cluster Probe of Sulfur- Hydrogen versus Sulfur- Gold Interactions" Crouthers, D. J.; Ding, S.; Denny, J. A.; Bethel, R. D.; Hsieh, C.-H.; Hall, M. B.; Darensbourg, M. Y.; Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2015, 54(38) 11102-11106.
- "Regioselectivity in Ligand Substitution Reactions on Diiron Complexes Governed by Nucleophilic and Electrophilic Ligand Properties" Bethel, R. D.; Crouthers, D. J.; Hsieh, C.-H.; Denny, J. A.; Hall, M. B.; Darensbourg, M. Y.; Inorg. Chem. 2015, 54(7) 3523-3535.
- "Metallodithiolates as Ligands to Dinitrosyl Iron Complexes: Towards the Understanding of Structures, Equilbria, and Spin Coupling" Pinder, T. A.; Montalvo, S. K.; Hsieh, C.-H.; Lunsford, A. M.; Bethel, R. D.; Pierce, B. S.; Darensbourg, M. Y.; Inorg. Chem. 2014, 53(17) 9095-9105.
- "Conformational Mobility and Pendent Base Effects on Electrochemistry of Synthetic Analogues of the [FeFe]-Hydrogenase Active Site" Crouthers, D. J.; Denny, J. A.; Bethel, R. D.; Munoz, D., G.; Darensbourg, M. Y. Organometallics 2014, (33(18) 4747-4755.