I am currently involved in teaching Organic chemistry (CHEM 227 & CHEM 228) and Elements of Organic and Biological Chemistry (CHEM 222) to about 300 students and supervising 3 Organic Chemistry Laboratory courses (CHEM 237 & CHEM 238) each semester. These courses serve the students from a variety of academic majors that include agriculture, biochemistry, biology, biomedical sciences, chemical engineering, nutrition, pre-medical and pre-veterinary medicine.
I also taught organic chemistry in each summer to students in the "Bridge to Medicine" program at College of Medicine for 15 years and students in the "Bridge to Veterinary Medicine" program at College of Veterinary Medicine for 5 years.
I was involved in organizing the Brazos Valley Regional Engineering and Science Fair for more than 15 years and the "Joy of Chemistry in summer" for Junior High School students for 5 years.
I love teaching and enjoy every minute of it.
Ph. D., University of Madras (India)
Awards & Recognition
- Students Led Award for Excellence in Teaching (2008)
- Texas A & M University Distinguished Achievement Award in Teaching by Association of Former Students (1998)
- College of Science Distinguished Achievement Award in Teaching by Association of Former Students (1994)
- Award of Piper Professorship for outstanding Scholarship and Academic Achievement by Minnie Stevens Piper Foundation,Texas (1999)
- Outstanding Panhellenic Professor Award by Collegiate Panhellenic council (2004)
- Award of Excellence for Outstanding Service and Dedication for Students with Disabilities by Texas A & M University (2004)
- Award of Merit for Teaching from Gamma Sigma Delta, Honor Society of Agriculture, Texas A & M University Chapter (1994)
- Award of Merit for Teaching from Gamma Sigma Delta, Honor Society of Agriculture, Texas A & M University Chapter (1984)
- Faculty Advisor to Sigma Alpha Lambda, Texas A&M Chapter
- Faculty Advisor to Chi Psi Beta, Texas A&M Chapter
- "Kinetics and Mechanistic Studies of the N-Bromosuccinimide promoted Oxidative Decarboxylation of Glycine, DL-Alanine and DL-Valine", G.Gopalakrishnan and John Hogg, J.Org.Chem., 50,3161,1985.
- "Transition State Structure for the Hydrolysis of Cyclic and Acyclic Carbonates", G.Gopalakrishnan and John Hogg, J.Org.Chem., 49,3161,1984.
- "Influence of Water Concentrationin Acetonitrile upon the Transition State Structure for 1-Acetyl-3-Methylimidazolium Ion Hydrolysis", G.Gopalakrishnan and John Hogg, J.Org.Chem., 48,2038,1983.>
- "Immature Hydronium Ion Implicated in Water-Catalysed Immonium Ion Hydrolysis", R.L.Erhardt, G.Gopalakrishnan and J.L.Hogg, J.Org.Chem., 48,1586,1983.
- "Influence of Ionic Strength upon the Proton Inventory for the Water-Catalyzed Hydrolysis of N-Acetylbenztrizole", G.Gopalakrishnan and John Hogg, J.Biorg.Chem., 10, 243, 1981.