- Graduate Studies
- Intructions for Applicants
December 15, 2018 is the priority deadline for the submission of all application materials for domestic applicants wishing to begin graduate studies in Fall 2019.
Applications completed after December 15th will be reviewed until the class is full.
A complete application to the PhD program in Chemistry consists of the following:
- Texas A&M University Application on ApplyTexas.org.
A Domestic Applicant is a US citizen or a permanent resident of the U.S.
An International Applicant is not a US citizen or a permanent resident of the U.S.
Note: You will not be able to edit or update any portion of the application after submission.
- Statement of Purpose to be answered as the Essay portion on your ApplyTexas application.
Read and follow the directions for What is a Statement of Purpose?
- Application Fee. If you are a US citizen, permanent residents or an international student who has completed an undergraduate degree in the US this fee is paid on your behalf. Please choose "pay by check" to cue Admissions to waive the fee. If you are not a US citizen and your degree is from a non-US university, you must pay the application fee.
After you complete and submit the ApplyTexas application, within 1-2 business days (M-F) the University will email to the address you provided on the application instructions on how to access the Application Information System (AIS). Once you have access you must complete the following steps before your application will be considered complete for review.
- Departmental Data Sheet: Accessed via link in the "Documents Required by Graduate Department" check list in your AIS.
- Transcripts Upload via the My Documents tab of the AIS PDF copies of transcripts for all college or University programs attended. Do not submit official transcripts unless admitted to the program.
- Three Letters of Recommendation. Request letters from your three recommenders by using the Letter of Recommendation System accessed via the "My Documents" tab in your AIS Portal. We do not accept letters uploaded by the applicant. At least 2 of your letters should be from chemists.
How do I use the Letter of Recommendation System?
- GRE Scores. Self-reported scores can be submitted in the ApplyTexas application and in the Departmental Data Sheet. You may upload the score report via the "My Documents" tab on the Application Information System. Official scores are required if admitted to the program.
More information about GRE scores
- GRE-Chemistry score. GRE-Chemistry score is required for all applicants with non-US undergraduate degrees or any applicant with undergraduate degrees in subjects other than chemistry. The GRE score is strongly recommended for all US applicants. You may report this score in the Document Data sheet or upload your score report to the AIS. If you are awaiting the score, write the month you took/will take the test. If you will not take the test, write "No". Note: The GRE-Chemistry test is offered three times each year in the US, sometimes less often in other countries. Visit the ETS website for locations and dates.
More information about Chemistry GRE scores
- TOEFL or IELTS Score. Required for any international student who is a citizen of a country where English is not the official language. You may self-report your scores on the ApplyTexas website as well as on the Departmental Data Sheet. You may also upload a copy of the report to the AIS.
More information about TOEFL scores
Still have questions?
See our FAQ