Catalysis lies at the heart of many unmet chemical challenges. Research efforts in our group focus on development of new
catalytic chemistry to impact both chemical synthesis as well as chemical storage of solar energy. Projects span organic,
organometallic, and inorganic chemistries and rely on the tools of modern synthetic chemistry and spectroscopy, as well as
advanced characterization techniques supported at synchrotron X-ray sources. Representative research interests include:
shape-selective catalysis, solar energy storage in organic solar-thermal flow batteries, and aerobic oxidation chemistry for
C–H functionalization reactions. We are seeking students who wish to gain expertise in synthetic chemistry and reaction
B. A., 2006, Franklin and Marshall College
Ph. D., 2011, Harvard University
NIH Postdoctoral Fellow, 2011-2015, Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Harvard University
Awards & Recognition
- NIH NRSA Postdoctoral Fellow
- Powers, D. C.; Anderson, B. L.; Hwang, S. J.; Powers, T. M.; Pérez, L. M.; Hall, M. B.; Zheng, S.-L.; Chen, Y.-S.; Nocera; D. G. Photocrystallographic Observation of Halide-Bridged Intermediates in Halogen Photoeliminations. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2014, 136, 15346-15355.
- Powers, D. C.; Anderson, B. L.; Nocera, D. G. Two-Electron Photoreduction of a Ni(II) Halide Enables H2 Evolution from HCl. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2013, 135, 18876-18883.
- Powers, D. C.; Lee, E.; Ariafard, A.; Sanford, M. S.; Yates, B. F.; Canty, A. J.; Ritter, T. Connecting Binuclear Pd(III) and Mononuclear Pd(IV) Chemistry by Pd-Pd Bond Cleavage. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2012, 134, 12002-12009.
- Powers, D. C.; Ritter, T. Bimetallic Redox Synergy in Oxidative Palladium Catalysis. Acc. Chem. Res. 2012, 45, 840-850.
- Powers, D. C.; Ritter, T. Bimetallic Pd(III) Complexes in Palladium-Catalysed Carbon-Heteroatom Bond Formation. Nature Chem. 2009, 1, 302-309.