Catalysis lies at the heart of many unmet chemical challenges. Research efforts in our group focus on development of new
catalytic chemistry to impact both chemical synthesis as well as chemical storage of solar energy. Projects span organic,
organometallic, and inorganic chemistries and rely on the tools of modern synthetic chemistry and spectroscopy, as well as
advanced characterization techniques supported at synchrotron X-ray sources. Representative research interests include:
shape-selective catalysis, solar energy storage in organic solar-thermal flow batteries, and aerobic oxidation chemistry for
C–H functionalization reactions. We are seeking students who wish to gain expertise in synthetic chemistry and reaction
B. A., 2006, Franklin and Marshall College
Ph. D., 2011, Harvard University
NIH Postdoctoral Fellow, 2011-2015, Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Harvard University
Awards & Recognition
- NIH NRSA Postdoctoral Fellow
- DOE Early Career Award
- NSF CAREER Award
- Maity, A.; Hyun, S.-M.; Wortman, A. K.; Powers, D. C. Oxidation Catalysis via an Aerobically Generated Dess-Martin Periodinane Analogue. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2018, asap. DOI: 10.1002/anie.201804159.
- Wang, C.-H.; Das, A.; Gao, W.; Powers, D. C. Probing Substrate Diffusion in Interstitial MOF Chemistry with Kinetic Isotope Effects. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2018, 57, 3676–3681. DOI: 10.1002/anie.201713244.
- Maity, A.; Hyun, S.-M.; Powers, D. C. Oxidase Catalysis via Aerobically Generated Hypervalent Iodine Intermediates. Nat. Chem. 2018, 10, 200–204. DOI: 10.1038/NCHEM.2873.
- Cardenal, A. D.; Park, H. J.; Chalker, C. J.; Ortiz, K. G.; Powers, D. C. Cis-Decalin Oxidation as a Stereochemical Probe for in-MOF versus on-MOF Catalysis. Chem. Commun. 2017, 53, 7377–7380. DOI: 10.1039/c7cc02570j.
- Das, A.; Reibenspies, J. H.; Chen, Y.-S.; Powers, D. C. Direct Characterization of a Reactive Lattice-Confined Ru2 Nitride by Photocrystallography. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2017, 139, 2912–2915. DOI: 10.1021/jacs.6b13357.