The 2005 National Chemistry Week
c Poster Contest d
“The Joy of toys”
As part of the
National Chemistry Week 2005 celebration and in recognition of its theme,
"The Joy of Toys,"
the American Chemical Society (ACS)
is sponsoring a poster contest
for students in grades K-12.
Students are invited to draw a poster that will serve as a public service announcement
emphasizing the role of science/chemistry in toys:
· toy development, toy production,
· materials of which toys are made,
· toy safety through chemistry,
· toys from different times in history and different cultures,
· toys that use chemistry to make them work
Winners will be selected in each of the following categories:
· K – 2nd grade
· 3rd – 4th grade
· 5th – 8th grade
· 9th – 12th grade
Contest is open to all students in the
· All entries must be original works without aid from others.
· Posters must be no larger than 14 x 22 inches in size.
· Entries on foam board will not be accepted.
· Entries must be hand-drawn using crayons, paint, colored pencils or markers. No computer printing or gluing of any kind will be accepted.
· Only one entry per student will be accepted.
· All entries must have the following information included on the back of the poster: Texas A&M University local section, student’s name, grade, home address, telephone number, name of school, school address, teacher's name, teacher’s email address and school telephone number.
Posters and descriptions must be submitted by
to: Dr. Wendy L. Keeney-Kennicutt
Coordinator, National Chemistry Week
Department of Chemistry
· All posters become the property of the American Chemical Society.
· Acceptance of prizes constitutes consent to use winners’ names, likenesses and entries for editorial, advertising and publicity purposes
Entries will be judged based upon:
· Artistic Merit (use of color, poster design and layout),
· Poster Message (related to chemistry’s role in the science of toys)
· Originality (unique, clever and/or creative design) and
· Neatness (free of spelling and grammatical errors and/or stray marks)
Winners (one in each category)
c $75 Cashiers Check and some Chemistry goodies
Honorable Mentions (one in each category)
c $40 Cashiers Check and some Chemistry goodies
All entrants will receive a certificate of appreciation for the work and effort spent on her/his poster.
Every child in the surrounding area is invited to participate. If you have any more questions, contact me, Dr. Wendy Keeney-Kennicutt, at the above numbers.