The 2004 National Chemistry Week
c Poster Contest d
“HEALTH AND WELLNESS”
As part of the
National Chemistry Week 2004 celebration and in recognition of its theme,
"Health and Wellness,"
the American Chemical Society (ACS)
is sponsoring a poster contest
for students in grades K-12.
Students are invited to draw a poster
that will serve as
a public service announcement
stressing chemistry’s role
in keeping people healthy and well.
Participants may create a poster that has
a health and wellness message for
their peers or any other age group.
Winners will be selected in each of the following categories:
· K – 2nd grade
· 3rd – 5th grade
· 6th – 8th grade
· 9th – 12th grade
Contest is open to all students in the
· All entries must be original works without aid from others.
· Posters must be no larger than 14 x 22 inches in size.
· Entries on foam board will not be accepted.
· Entries must be hand-drawn using crayons, paint, colored pencils or markers. No computer printing or gluing of any kind will be accepted.
· Only one entry per student will be accepted.
· All entries must have the following information included on the back of the poster: Texas A&M University local section, student’s name, grade, home address, telephone number, name of school, school address, teacher's name, teacher’s email address and school telephone number.
Posters and descriptions must be submitted by
to: Dr. Wendy L. Keeney-Kennicutt
Coordinator, National Chemistry Week
Department of Chemistry
· All posters become the property of the American Chemical Society.
· Acceptance of prizes constitutes consent to use winners’ names, likenesses and entries for editorial, advertising and publicity purposes
Entries will be judged based upon:
· Artistic Merit, Originality and Neatness
· Poster Message (related to chemistry’s role in keeping people healthy and well)
The winning poster in each grade category at the local
level will be submitted to the ACS (American Chemical Society) Office of
Community Activities in
Local Winners (one in each category)
c $100 Savings Bond
Honorable Mentions (one in each category)
c $50 Savings Bond
All entrants will receive a certificate of appreciation for the work and effort spent on her/his poster.
c Handheld Color TV (teachers will receive Periodic Table of Elephants)
National Honorable Mentions
c Set of Handheld Talk-About 2-way Radios
Teachers of Winning Students
c Periodic Table of the Elephants Poster
Every child in the surrounding area is invited to participate. If you have any more questions, contact me, Dr. Wendy Keeney-Kennicutt, at the above numbers.